Shake, Rattle and Roll

To say I am looking forward to this upcoming three day weekend is an understatement. I only wish I was going away somewhere for a quick trip, but a staycation is probably just what the doctor ordered.

I'm taking it easy this week on the weights since I seem to have given myself a tiny case of golfer's elbow somehow. The tendons between my forearm and bicep are not happy with me on my right arm. I may have been overdoing it with front squats or some bar action :(. My legs are also still killing me from my 90 minute workout on Saturday.

For the first time in a while I was able to work out alone at the Y and do a good, solid 60+ min workout. I was in the zone. I did so many squats (sumo, goblet, bench) and lunges (side and reverse) with the 40lb barbell, along with some chest and back work. Someone was taking up the squat rack for the entire time, so I was a bit peeved, but I managed to kill it on my own in the free weight section. I sweat so much I had a little puddle where I was working out. Gross, I know....

I also started and ended with a mile run on the treadmill. 700 calories burned. I was pretty much down for the count on Sunday though. I skipped the gym since I was up at 3:30 in the morning anyway due to our NorCal earthquake! It was centered 30 miles from where I live, but we definitely felt the rolling for a good 10-15 seconds and falling back asleep was not an option!

I did a bit of meal prep instead and made my simple salsa chicken stew. I always think my food looks better than it really does, but despite the terrible picture, this is actually quite tasty and easy for my lunches. I think this pic can qualify for the food horrors of Instagram if I really try...

Here's the recipe:

 
Trust me, it's really tasty.
Salsa Chicken Stew
1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups of broth
1 small red onion chopped
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 can of organic corn kernels (no sugar added)
1 can of diced green chilis
1 roasted poblano pepper, chopped (optional)
2 roma tomatoes, chopped or 1 can of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup of salsa of your choice

Shredded cheese and green onion to top it off.

The How-To

Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces of your choice. In a sauce pan (or pot), warm the olive oil and brown the chicken on all sides. Add the onions and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add in the broth, tomatoes, salsa, black beans, corn and poblano if you have it. I just happened to have one lying around that I grilled and it really kicked up the spice level of the stew for me.

Bring the stew to a boil and then lower the heat and cover for 15 minutes. Add the green chilis last since they tend to disintegrate if over cooked. Cook for another 10 minutes. Scoop out into bowls and top with green onion and cheese (if desired).

I made a batch of this and it's good for at least 4 bowls of 1.5 cups of stew. It gets better each day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success is Never a Straight Line

Biting the Bullet