Here we go again...

Well, well, well. I'm finally free and clear. The holidays are over. I seriously can't stand the time from November 1 to December 31st. The pressure, the expectations, the comparisons, the time off or lack there of, the temptations, the money being spent etc...It's just such a drain on me. I'm spent.

I don't travel during the holidays and my family phone calls home require a heavy dose of patience or several glasses of wine prior to dialing and I'm just...over it all. New Year's Eve was no exception. When I phoned home and all 3 members of my immediate family were soused beyond belief, I was annoyed and they were incredibly tiresome to talk with. It just cemented my choice to stay in, not drink heavily myself and have a quiet evening. It made me a bit sad too, but that's another post for another time.

On the upside, I managed to come out of the holiday blur 8 pounds lighter. This in itself is a major victory. There would have more pounds shed, but yes, wine was drunk, carbs were eaten and every day was not spent at the gym. I'm happy with what I've been able to do after stalling for so long. I could have been drinking more water and I haven't been as strict with my meal plan, but now all the excuses are out the window, just like 2014. Good riddance!

Now comes the onslaught of gym newbs hogging all the cardio machines, all the proclamations of new year's diets, cleanses, restrictions and the like on social media or media in general. I just have to tune it out. Already healthy people denying themselves or "challenging" themselves to more restrictive eating and encourage orthorexia just aggravates me. My own BF is not exempt either. It's tough to live with someone who comments on every carb, has to "move or be active" every day and just doesn't understand the concept of REST periods longer than a day.

Seriously. First 2015 meme created by ME.








Since I'm dealing with two injuries now, I have to take it easy and practice self-care moreso than ever. This doesn't mean I'm not going to the gym, I just have to know my limitations. I went a little hog wild on New Year's Day and worked out for 2 hours. Mostly cardio, but I attempted some weights which I shouldn't have. It's just hard when I'm there, seeing things I want to do, feel a bit ok and push myself too far too soon. Hello ibuprofen my old friend...and steam rooms...and pain patches....and heating pads. Lesson learned. I started out strong, then got a bit upset and let down at the aftermath of it all.

Here I am again, a new year with new goals. Another year will go by in the blink of an eye. I look forward to this time next year and to see what changes have happened.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Success is Never a Straight Line

Biting the Bullet